More evidence of mass killings in Cabo Delgado emerges

 

On 19 June 2023 we published a report by British journalist Alex Perry. After the attack on Palma in March 2021, both the government and TOTAL claimed that only two or three dozen had been killed. Alex Perry conducted four months’ research in Palma. His audited statistics show that, in fact, more than 1 300 had been killed. His claims are supported by an article published by Observatorio do Meio Rural (OMR) this week, after they conducted extensive
research in the Palma and Mocimboa da Praia areas. The OMR report not only confirms numbers killed and disappeared that are far higher than official statistics. It also shows the role of the Mozambican Defence Force in the killing and disappearance of civilians. Almost half of 600 households surveyed by OMR reported having a murdered relative in the violence carried out by armed groups in the province. In a report entitled “Humanitarian Organizations in the South and TotalEnergies in the Northeast: options for internal displacements in a Context of a fragile state”, OMR says that 43% of household
respondents reported having family members assassinated. About a third (34%) of the Respondents had at least one abducted relative and 18% reported disappeared relatives. The percentage of abductions was particularly evident in the Milamba neighborhood, in Mocímboa da Praia, and in the village of Monjane, the administrative post of Olumbi, Palma district, affecting, respectively, 60% and 50% of the families respondents. Murdered and disappeared relatives were more evident in Monjane, in the area of Afungi, affecting 57% and 34% of respondents, respectively. According to reports, many individuals died in the woods, during periods of disorganized flight, as casualties of murder, illness, or exhaustion. Others drowned when trying to escape by sea. “Several villagers claim that a countless number of individuals have perished, saying that the woods are full of cemeteries,” reads the study. OMR recommends “the carrying out a symbolic recognition of the victims of the conflict through the construction of memorials”. Respondents attribute the atrocities to the rebels, but also to the Defence Forces, especially in the months that followed the attack on the village of Palma, in March 2021. “The low wages of the military, lack of command of local languages, and difficulties in communicating with populations created a scenario for abuse”, says the report. Many villagers reported episodes of trespassing, looting, threats, or extortion of monetary amounts. They also revealed cases of the disappearance of individuals in military hands. The NGO says that there remains an environment of mistrust between communities and the Army. In early June 2023, three residents of Mocímboa da Praia were murdered by agents of the Unit of Rapid Intervention, says OMR. The war profoundly affected the social fabric, causing the separation of many families and psychological traumas are evident, continues the study: many interviewees were visibly moved when they talk about family who have been victims of armed violence. Their children panic when they hear crashes and explosions. Many report problems with insomnia.

Diario de Noticias Edition 4858, 23 June 2023

 


 

 

Army prohibits the transport of people and goods in Macomia

 

After banning the transport of large quantities of food for sale in the villages of the coastal area of Macomia district, in Cabo Delgado, as a way to prevent terrorists from strengthening their food logistics, the Mozambique Armed Defense Forces (FADM) announced a new ban. The new ban covers the vehicles
themselves, which must not carry passengers or goods.  For now, only motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians are allowed, all subject to thorough searching. The measure came into force last Thursday, June 22, and the semi-collective passenger transport car are immobilized, some with the merchandise. The measure is creating constraints for shippers and traders, who were excited about the resumption of trade in Mucojo and
Quiterajo. The local market of the host village already experiences a lack of fish. There is also a shortage of food in the main resettlement areas of Pangane and Pequeué. According to sources, traders have been banned from purchasing large quantities of food products because last week the insurgents made bulk purchases at various stalls in the communities of Pangane, Milamba, Pequeué, and Ingoane.

FDS proíbem transporte de pessoas e bens em Macomia (cartamz.com)

Stay Up-To-Date!