1. ‘Soldiers are for fighting, not for sitting’: Museveni says his army is ready if needed in Mozambique

Uganda is open to the idea of sending troops to fight insurgents in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado. But for now, its resources are stretched because already, Uganda has 6 000 soldiers on a peacekeeping mission in Somalia and another 4 000 in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. This was said by the country’s strongman President Yoweri Museveni in an open session at State House in Entebbe with Mozambican President Filipe Nyusi who is on a three-day state visit to Uganda.

“What we decided to do, for now, was to send materials. I am told the problem (insurgency) is being solved, but if it’s not solved for some reason, we shall have to deploy a big force there,” Museveni said. He added that “soldiers are for fighting, not for sitting. If someone comes into our zone we fight”.

Nyusi said that one of the main reasons for his visit was to thank Uganda for its part in the fight against Islamic extremist groups in Cabo Delgado. “Uganda is already supporting Mozambique logistically and one of the purposes of this visit is to thank the sister country,” he said.


2. More Insurgent Attacks in Nangade

Insurgents carried out another attack in the Nangade district, near Chibau village, north of Cabo Delgado, against a passenger transport vehicle on Sunday 1 May. The attack happened less than 20 kilometers from the Nangade district office. Sources said there were no fatalities, but minor injuries and damage to the vehicle which, despite the heavy gunfire, the driver managed to dominate to Chibau village where he was immobilized, but with flat tires.

Soon after the attack, for fear of being victims of the attacks, other vehicles abandoned the route, having been forced to return to Nangade-head. Until 12:00 pm on Sunday, vehicles or motorvehicles had not yet been allowed to be used on that section.

The sources did not report any movement of the joint forces, despite considerable staff of Mozambican and foreign troops, positioned in that district. Also on Saturday, insurgents killed a male individual near Chibau village.


3. Bishop of Pemba Calls for International Community not to Forget Cabo Delgado

The Bishop of Pemba asked the international community this Sunday (01-05) not to forget the Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado. Dom António Juliasse Ferreira Sandramo said that the security situation in the province, which has been severely affected by terrorism, was still delicate, and that the displaced population remained in need of humanitarian aid. Bishop Juliase was participating in a mass in Maputo cathedral, presided over by the Archbishop of Maputo, Francisco Chimoio and attended by other members of the Episcopal Conference of Mozambique.

Dom Juliasse was first ordained a bishop in February 2019, at the Cathedral of Chimoio, and was later appointed auxiliary bishop of Maputo, where he stayed for three years. Last year, he was appointed Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Pemba and, in March of this year, Pope Francis appointed him Bishop of Pemba.

Sunday’s mass at Maputo’s Cathedral was a celebration for everyone to say goodbye to a son of the house: Dom António Juliasse Ferreira Sandramo.

“Insecurity prevails, the internally displaced are still many. I personally ask you, those who know me, to pray. Pray for me, and pray for peace,” the bishop said.

In an interview with VOA later, the Bishop of Pemba said that Cabo Delgado was still in dire straits and that the displaced badly needed help. “There continue to be attacks. Especially in the Nangade region, many villages were attacked in the last three months. And, that’s it – we are attentive to the situation. As a church, we can only humanely help those forced to move from one place to another. The security issue is in the hands of the government and international partners,” he said.

In addition to barbaric killings, the terrorists had destroyed social and economic infrastructure, especially in the northern districts of Cabo Delgado, among them churches and residences belonging to the Catholic Church.

The Bishop of Pemba said that, for the time being, there were no plans to rebuild them.

“The most serious is Muidumbe, where the church and the priests’ house, where we had a community radio station, were all destroyed. So, there, certainly, we will need a lot of investment to rebuild the parish mission. And we also saw the church in Mocímboa da Praia destroyed,” he said.

Dom António Juliasse Ferreira Sandramo, Bishop of Pemba, succeeds the Brazilian Luiz Fernando Lisboa.

Stay Up-To-Date!